12296 Krouse Road ~ This historical village was started in June 1966 . Visitors become uniquely involved in the recreation of the 19th century history. Along with its 41 new, restored and reconstructed buildings the village also has several museums. Every year there are special event days where authentically costumed craftsmen demonstrate a wide variety of pioneer skills. Located 3 miles west of Defiance on Krouse Road.
Canal Mule Bridge
At the end of Perry Street where it meets the Maumee River ~ Constructed in the 1840’s, it provided passage over the Maumee River just for the mules and their drivers, the canal boats entered into the river. On the north side of the river the drivers and mules walked along the riverbank. The canal boats re-entered into the canal system just above the Independence Dam.
801 North Clinton Street ~ Chartered in 1850, Defiance College is a four-year liberal arts-based college affiliated with the United Church of Christ. The college has been recognized by several publications including the John Templeton Foundation Honor Roll of the Nation’s Highest Character-Building Colleges and is also a national leader in the service learning area. With 41 major areas of study leading to bachelor’s, master’s and associate degrees in education and business the college serves approximately 1,000 students. The college is a member of NCAA Division III, offering 18 men’s and women’s sports.
Defiance Public Library
320 Fort Street ~ Our library was built in 1904 with funds from a Carnegie Grant. This beautiful historic building is located on the site of Fort Defiance along the Maumee and Auglaize River banks and allows visitors to reflect on the county’s history.
Fort Defiance Flag Staff
320 Fort Street ~ All land north to Canada is surveyed on baseline running from this point.
Architecture serves as a visual guide and time line of the styles and house types that were popular during the70-year period of development. Greek Revival, Italianate, Second Empire, Queen Anne, Colonial Revival, Prairie, Craftsmen and Bungalow styles are all represented.
The Huber Opera House and Civic Center
157 East High Street, Hicksville ~ Built as a hotel in 1895 this structure became the try-out theatre for George H. Huber’s larger New York and Chicago theatres. After many years of housing different businesses in downtown Hicksville, the nostalgic feel of the Huber is being restored by a group of determined citizens . The unique facility has the seating capacity for 800 and is used for many community events and attractions as well as being home to the Hicksville Village Players.
Major General Lawrence H. Livingston Highway
Harley Davidson Inc. named Route 424 between Defiance and Napoleon as one of the ten best touring roads in the United States. This 18 mile stretch past Independence Dam State Park follows the Maumee River and uses the old tow path of Miami-Erie and Wabash Canal systems for its road bed.
Miami & Erie Canal Lock No. 37
309 Perry Street ~ By 1845 the Canal was open extending from the Miami River to Lake Erie in Toledo, then from Toledo, westward to Ft. Wayne and Lafayette, In. Commerce flourished along the canal until the 1850’s when competition from the railroads emerged. Passenger boats were discontinued in 1862. By 1870 the Wabash and Erie Canal into Indiana was completely abandoned. The Miami and Erie Lingered on until major repairs were authorized and completed between 1906 and 1909. Only to be all but destroyed by the floods of 1913. By 1917 most of the bridges across the canal in the Downtown were removed. The canal was gradually filled and drained. The remains of the north end of the Maumee and Erie Lock #37 have lain exposed, until partially renovated in 1997.
1351 South Clinton Street ~ A beautiful chapel built in 1890 contains the grave sites of veterans of 1794 and the War of 1812. Featuring a true Gothic ceiling and marble floor the “Little Gem of American Building” is available for small weddings , funerals and/or committal services.
Stroede Center for the Arts
319 Wayne Avenue ~ Home to the Defiance Community Cultural Council (DCCC) and Defiance Community Television (DCTV) with the mission of providing the great city of Defiance with great art. The 135 seat space with professional video, lighting and sound make a perfect venue for recitals, presentations and even weddings! Regular community events include the Tuttle’s Town and Gown Series, performances by the Young Peoples Theatre Guild, and classical music series Sunday at the Stroede. For more information on the DCCC, DCTV, facility rentals and our Defiance Arts Calendar visit us at www.defiancearts.org.
The Andrew L. Tuttle Memorial Museum
514 W. Third Street ~ The Andrew L. Tuttle Memorial Museum has been created to foster an understanding and appreciation of the diverse history of the City of Defiance and its immediate surrounding area by responsibly collecting, preserving, interpreting and exhibiting items from the area’s natural and cultural history.