Marker #1 – Daeida Hartell Wilcox Beveridge
503 Defiance Avenue – Hicksville ~ Born in Hicksville in 1862, Daeida co-developed and named, the Los Angeles suburb of Hollywood, CA. She led development efforts, established much of the civic infrastructure and much of the commercial district. She continued to promote Hollywood until her death in 1914.
Amelia Swilley Bingham
One of the prominent Broadway actors of her era, Amelia was born in Hicksville in 1869. She debuted on Broadway in 1893 at the Bijou Theatre and achieved wide acclaim for her performances. As a pioneering woman producer and director, Bingham served as the first president of the Professional Woman’s League. She died in New York in 1927.
Marker #2 – Spemica Lawba – Johnny Logan
Corner of Washington and Fort Streets ~ Following the declaration of war against England in 1812, Logan joined the American service. In November 1812, General Harrison directed Logan to take a small party ahead of General James Winchester’s left wing to scout the area near the Rapids of the Maumee. Encountering a larger enemy force, Logan’s party retreated and was accused of disloyalty by General Price, second in command to Winchester. Indignant, Logan left with Captain Johnny and Bright Horn to prove his innocence. They were, however, captured near Turkeyfoot Creek. During their escape, Logan was severely wounded. He died on November 25, 1812. Army officers carried Logan’s body six miles to Ft. Defiance and was buried with full military honors, the only Indian to receive that recognition in Ohio.
Marker #3 – Tale of Ensign James Liggett
Deleware Bend Road ~ After American militia troops forcibly ended the 1812 siege of Ft. Wayne, General Winchester’s Army tried to stop the advancing British troops. After three days of difficult march , Liggett of the 17th Regiment, volunteered to lead a group of four scouts to Ft. Defiance. The group was surprised and killed about September 25th. The Americans tried twice to recover the bodies, but were ambushed by Native Americans sympathetic to the British. Their bodies were finally recovered and buried in a common grave.
Major Adam Charles Muir, 41st Regiment of Foot
Major Adam Muir combined forces from British regulars, Canadian volunteers, and 800 Native American dispatching from Detroit to siege Ft. Wayne. He moved his heavy cannons by boat to the site of the old Ft. Defiance. Muir tried to set up several defense positions to engage General Winchester’s army but his Indian allies melted away. He then retreated back to Detroit. This site represents the southern most point of the British invasion into Ohio during the War of 1812.
Marker #4 – Fort Winchester
Fort Street ~ General William Henry Harrison ordered the construction of Fort Winchester early October 1812, completed October 15th, 1812. The fort served as an observation post and supply depot for the American Army. It’s shape was a parallelogram, measuring 600 by 300 feet. The Army abandoned the post in the spring of 1815, after the war in the northwest ended. Shortly after, settlers inhabited the fort. The grid of streets from 1822 – still followed in the 21st century.
Marker #5 – Evansport
01258 Main Street, Evansport ~ Evansport was named after brothers Amos and Albert Evans who, with Jacob Coy, had the village surveyed next to the Tiffin River on Dec. 14th, 1835. Early growth was spurred my its mills, providing settlers with lumber and other supplies. At its peak in 1880, there were 300 residents. Fires in 1893, 1921, and 1925 destroyed many of it’s downtown businesses. In 1940, they organized a fire department and purchased a truck.
Marker #6 – Winchester’s Camp No. 3
St Rt 424 ~ Camp No. 3 was located about 6 miles below Ft. Winchester on the north side of the Maumee River. Militiamen from Kentucky occupied the camp during November and December of 1812. They were unaware of the weather in the mid-winter in the Black Swamp and began referring to it as “Fort Salvation”. Camp No. 3 covered about 40 acres.
The Old Kentucky Burial
During the construction of the Miami and Erie Canal, in 1845, workers dug up the burial grounds of Winchester’s Camp No. 3.,When Samuel Rohn, an early settler, purchased the property in 1822 portions of the camp walls were still standing. It is believed that approximately 300 Kentucky soldiers are buried there.
Marker #7 – Winchester’s Camp No. 2
East River Road ~ After the completion of Fort Winchester, General Winchester ordered troops to cross to the north side of the Maumee. The troops only occupied the site for 9 days in November 1812. Camp site 2 proved to be too wet and marshy, he then ordered troops to Camp site No. 3, six miles down river.
The island is named after William Preston, a veteran of the War of 1812 who settled here. During the war, the island was used to hold cattle for the Army. After the Civil War, the island became popular for reunions for veterans and their families. The island had a racetrack, grandstands, auditorium and baseball diamond. The mighty flood of March 1913 swept away the island’s facilities.
Marker #1 – Daeida Hartell Wilcox Beveridge